Monday 29 June 2009

Still life with wheel spokes, grazed elbow and knee

That's my elbow on the left, if you were wondering: it was difficult to get everything into one picture.











Thankfully only a mishap: I braked a little too late at a roundabout in a high gear. Typical really, I was two minutes from getting back home after an exhilarating hour or so in the countryside in torrential rain. The rain had now stopped, the road wasn't actually busy, but a split second of misjudgment saw me slide ever so gracefully (I use that term mendaciously) onto the tarmac.

Nothing more than superficial harm done though (except I'll have to have a look at the brakes), and I'd had an otherwise fantastic time. The sense of freedom of going out in such weather, combined with seeing the steam rise off the road like early morning mist, once the rains had given way to sunshine once more - I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

14 comments:

Merkin said...

Carpet burns?
Always suspicious.

(At least for sicko people like me)

Only kiddin', big man.

Zhoen said...

Ow.

Cayenne paste.

DJ Kirkby said...

I agree with your thoughts on cycling in the rain but...owwwwwwwww...those look sore. Bet they sting like hell in the bath.

trousers said...

merk, I've just discovered another graze on my shoulder blade which looks more like a carpet burn...but no, all tarmac and grit, I'm afraid.

Cayenne paste, zhoen? Do tell. Still, the only thing I put on these grazes was some alcohol (on some pre-dressing wipes). Unsurprisingly that stung a bit, but actually more so than when I fell off the bike in the first place...

See my above comment, deej - they look worse than they are, which I'm obviously grateful for.

Merkin said...

My girlfriend has just arrived with similar wounds to you.

I have just showed her your post!

(I am really sympathetic, honest)


PS she couped over when her heel stuck in a drain.

trousers said...

That made me laugh, merk - your comment that is, not the fact of your girlfriend being injured.

Hope she's ok anyway:)

J.J said...

Ouch!

Nice legs though :-)

trousers said...

These old things, J.J?

Shucks ;-)

zola a social thing said...

"The sense of freedom of going out into that rain"???

" I would not have missed it for anything"???

Damit then you go and spoil it all by saying something simple like "I must fix the brakes".

still life goes on.

Anonymous said...

I have friends who sail across the Atlantic in a yacht just for that feeling of freedom in the middle of the elements. There's nothing like it.

Paula said...

I can relate, this feeling of freedom and I have crossed atlantic ona 42ft yacht like your friends friend. being a drop in the ocean, part of nature, a moment of eternity.Actually I blogged about it a few days ago with the title: "Deprived"

trousers said...

Well that's a reflection of how it is, zola - all freedom, escape, liberty and things needing attention or repair. Surely you've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

zhisou, that sounds fantastic, and certainly puts my cycling excursions to shame :)

Paula, I shall soon be over to read the post in question...

Zhoen said...

Cayenne paste helps heal cuts and scrapes, promotes blood flow and has mild antibiotic qualities. Just have to be careful to wash hands well to avoid getting it in your eyes.

trousers said...

Thanks for that zhoen, I may well have to explore, though I can't ever recall seeing cayenne paste in any of the shops round here (possibly because I've never actually lookedfor it).