Sunday 26 July 2009

A sobering coincidence

So there I was with a handful of friends last night, having retired to a pub for a quiet couple of pints so as to give our ears a rest from the punishing but compelling onslaught of a bewildering variety of sounds and noises. Oddly, the conversation turned - I don't quite remember how - to discussion about World War 1 (possibly because I very boringly seize any chance to discuss the war when I've had a few drinkies).

I recall talking about my admiration for Harry Patch's simple but cogent denunciations of armed conflict, and how much extra weight and authority it seemed to carry coming from someone - the last one alive - who had been there, seen so much horror and futility with his own eyes, and very luckily lived to tell the tale so many decades later.

So it was rather sobering to get home around 1am and to see the news headlines.

8 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

He was a special man and one we could (and still can) learn from.

trousers said...

Yes to all that, Deej. Definitely still can learn from, I would say.

Merkin said...

Agreed.

You can suggest a caption for the Rowson cartoon on my blog, if you wish.

trousers said...

I'll come over and have a look, Merk.

Fire Byrd said...

And Henry Allingham died the week or two before.
There are none left now.
So you keep talking cause we mustn't forget.
xx

bikerted said...

I was also saddened to here of Harry passing away, especially as I have recently finished reading his life story - The Last Fighting Tommy.

trousers said...

Absolutely, FB, you're right: though I mainly keep talking about it due to sheer fascination about the whole thing (and the opportunity to bore the hell out of my friends and anyone else sat within 20 feet).

bikerted, it's one of those books I keep thinking about getting, once I've got through my current crop of books. It will sound silly but I'll probably order it from Amazon rather than getting it from a shop, I don't want to look as though I'm buying it just because he's died. Not that it should matter anyway, it's just one of those things.

zola a social thing said...

Oh dear me lest we forget that today is also yesterday.

oh dear me I feel soooo much better now.