Sunday 23 January 2011

Indigestion

I was roused from some very strange dreams this morning by the muffled sound of my upstairs neighbour bursting into song. He got as far as one note and then immediately stopped himself: cognisant, perhaps, of the horrific implications of continuing.

I soon fell back to sleep and resumed my weird dreams which were caused, I'm sure, by a bout of indigestion. In one dream, every time I picked up the phone, and before I had the chance to dial a number, the phone automatically connected me to someone I really didn't want to speak to. I would slam the phone back down with a shudder.

The day, like the rest of the weekend, has been a pleasant one - but like the indigestion, the residual effect of such subconscious outpourings has remained with me all day, like a slightly bristly texture.

I've felt sleepy this evening but have still put an hour or two into working on music, though mainly listening - to stuff that I was working on rather gleefully last night, and to stuff I haven't revisited in years. Listening, listening, then listening some more, attending to a couple of technical or process-based things, then listening further.

Sooner or later, when some of these external sounds and processes have wormed their way further into the recesses of my mind, something will click and I'll be able to move them further on.

Not today though, today was mainly for listening...and digesting.

3 comments:

Zhoen said...

Gather the stones, then build the wall.

Alexandra MacVean said...

It will all click on the right day, in the "magical" moment creating the PERFECT piece...

:D

xo

trousers said...

Nicely put Zhoen - that feels like what I'm doing. Rather disparate, differently-shaped stones, but they'll find their place nonetheless.

Sophia, I hope so - I may post more work up here at a suitable juncture if I'm pleased with what I've done :)

x